Wow! I keep having so much fun reading the posts from everyone getting a Beautiful Blogger award and lo and behold, Andrea at New Vintage Wardrobe, nominated ME for one (and four other beauties, of course!) It totally made my day, not only to get a chance to come up with odd things to share about myself, but Andrea was the first person I added as a favorite on patternreview.com, and I am in love with all of her awesome vintage looks! The shoes! The snoods! The red bandanna print shirt! With skulls!
- I got married in June. At my home. In my yard (and my neighbor’s yard.) Our basset hound was in the wedding, I was a loon and made my maid of honor’s dress and made our fans-instead-of-flowers with my own two hands. This included carving. and there are mirrors on the backs for the checking of teeth.
- When I was a little girl, we (libertarianish dad, 70′s social worker mom and me) lived out in the woods. With no electricity. And a bunch of sled dogs. My dad raced dogs and made the harnesses himself out of bright yellow webbing and red fake fur on an old treadle singer.
- My gramma was a sewer and knitter. A few years ago, I decided to try to use some of her collection of 70′s aluminum knitting needles (aren’t they the BEST?? Bamboo is pretty, but aluminum is the perfect amount of not-slidey and pointy!) by reading a book (The Knit Stitch). It was like I already knew how to do it, and knitting isn’t easy to learn from a book! I think my gramma probably taught me when I was too little to remember.
- I got to sewing by starting out hand quilting. Then last January I borrowed a friends totally awesome 20 year old Pfaff and made a slipcover for a chair. It worked (sort of) and I figured if I could fit a chair, I could take a shot at fitting myself! Yay for sewing!
- I can’t drink out of glasses, I mean I can, but it drives me nuts (hmmmm… perhaps the smell of Minneapolis water?) I leave plastic bottles all over the house, which drives my husband crazy!
- Since downloading Kindle for iPhone last year, I have downloaded nearly 100 books. I try to tell myself that they were all free, but they weren’t. Blast Amazon one-click!
- Famous people I have seen without paying for a ticket: Jakob Dylan (I know, right?) at a bar in Mpls. funny thing – some girl ran up to him (it was the late 90′s, he was a big thing!) and said “omigodareyoujakobdylan??!!” and he totally straight-faced said “he’s in the back of the bar” and the girl went running off. Maya Angelou – no joke, I saw her at the Mall of America. She had a full-length fur, and when she left the store, the security buzzer went off! They hadn’t taken a tag off something. All the security people were very “Ms. Angelou this and Ms. Angelou that”. Very respectful young men! And the big one (for a Minneapolis girl). One night, at a jazz club that’s since closed down, a friend’s band was playing. I was standing at the bar when I realized the guitar player was standing right next to me, but the music was still going. My friend pointed over my shoulder… and there was Prince, sitting at the edge of the stage, playing along. He sat in for a song or two, when some crazy girls got all bananas and his security chased everyone away. Best. Night. Ever.
- I use two fingers instead of one (pointy finger and middle finger, not just pointy) to hold my pen. And my silverware, chopsticks and I hold my knitting needles different as well. I got yelled at a lot in the first grade, but I already knew how to write and couldn’t get the hang of holding my pen the ‘right’ way. My only six months as a server were at a Vietnamese restaurant, and I could never teach people to hold chopsticks correctly because of this!
- Nobody knows this except my husband…. today we started setting up a real sewing corner for me! I’m sure I’ll do a post! No more cutting and sewing in the kitchen, ironing in the living room and driving him nuts! Awesome desk from Ikea! So cute! My machine can hide out in it! (small house, we’re now using our guest room as a partial sewing room…)
- I am a marathon-wife. My husband will be running his 32nd marathon in a few weeks. All under 3 hours – he WON one! He ran one on our honeymoon! I am the master of figuring out good spectator spots at miles 9, 16 and the finish in unfamiliar towns! I ‘ran’ in one race – the 5K9 (um, that’s with dogs) last summer. We came in second to last (we beat the elderly daschunds.) Lucy the basset thought she was running for mayor, not running a race, and she met about twelve hundred people in the 40 minutes it took us to plod the 3.1 miles.
So… to pass it on…. Hmmmm…. I nominate (and my apologies if I’m double nominating…..)
Alana at Lazy Stitching – she of the awesome Jenny skirt
Heather at Sewing on Pins - all her outfits so flattering! The perfect styles!
Nikol at Sewtropolis - awesome sewing studio, shop and classes in South Mpls! And right around the corner from me!
“Dr. E” at The Fabulous Dr. E’s Fabulous Blog - well, not only should there be a separate award for best blog name, but she’s very, very, very funny!
Tanit at Tanit-Isis Sews - everything she makes is very cool, she looks cool, and she made cool tags for the future cool things she’ll make! Plus she can rock the long sleeves under short in a way that would make me look like I got dressed in the dark!
Off to organize the new sewing space!